- ½ cup natural peanut butter, almond butter or sunflower nut butter
- ¾ cup rolled oats (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, melted (see Tip)
- Step 1Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Combine peanut butter, oats and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Roll the mixture into 12 balls, using about 2 teaspoons for each. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Step 2Roll the balls in melted chocolate. Return to the freezer until the chocolate is set, about 15 minutes.
To make ahead: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Tips: To melt chocolate, microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. Or place chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.
People with celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity should use oats that are labeled “gluten-free,” as oats are often cross-contaminated with wheat and barley.
Serving Size: 1 ballPer Serving: 124 calories; protein 3.3g; carbohydrates 10.2g; dietary fiber 1.6g; sugars 4.6g; fat 7.8g; saturated fat 2.1g; folate 3.3mcg; calcium 2.8mg; iron 0.6mg; magnesium 21.7mg; potassium 44.6mg; sodium 35.8mg; added sugar 4g.Exchanges:
1 1/2 fat, 1/2 other carbohydrate