INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
To make the cake, you’ll need:
- Flour: You can use whole wheat, all-purpose, or a mixture of the two.
- Vegetable oil: I typically use canola or a vegetable oil here.
- Baking soda
- Cocoa powder: I like SACO or Hershey’s Special Dark.
- White vinegar
- Vanilla extract
- Quick Chocolate Frosting: Or a frosting of your choice.
Here’s the basic process of making the cake. Scroll down to the bottom of this post for the recipe with the full information.
- Preheat the oven and grease two 6-inch round pans very well..
- Stir together the ingredients in a medium bowl with a whisk. Make sure you get all of the lumps out of the cocoa powder.
- Divide batter between the pans evenly. Bake.
- Let cool on a wire rack and frost.
TIPS FOR FROSTING A CHOCOLATE CAKE
I have a few frosting options for this cake, though the basic method of frosting the cake is the same.
- Place one of the cakes onto a platter or cake stand.
- Add a big spoonful of frosting and spread to cover the top.
- Add the second cake and the rest of the frosting. Spread over the top and over the sides.
- Add sprinkles if desired. I like to use a cookie cutter to make a star design (imperfect as it is!).